Running your own pub is a dream that many of us harbour. It could be an ultra-modern gastro pub, or a cosy rural inn, but the idea of being landlord appeals greatly. Unfortunately, the reality can sometimes be confusing and time consuming.


Before you secure your dream, you must know everything there is the know about alcohol licensing and how the rules can affect you and your business. to realise your dream, it’s important to get to grips with everything involving alcohol licensing and how it would affect you. So that you’re on the right path, business gas specialists Flogas, take us through all vital information about this legislation.


The general rules


If you are looking to sell alcohol in Wales or England, it’s the law to have a license to do so. This must be authorised by the licensing authority – usually a local council – and is overseen by the Home Office, and is defined is as follows:

  • Businesses that sell or supply alcohol on a permanent basis, such as pubs, must apply for a premises licence.
  • Those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol must apply for a personal licence, alongside the premises licence, if they are also the owner of the business in that premises.


While you must pay a fee, it’s also mandatory to complete and send an application to your local council. As well as the local authority, you will also have to send your application to the police and other responsible authorities; these responsible authorities can include:

  • The primary care trust (PCT) or local health board (LHB)
  • Local fire and rescue
  • Planning authority
  • Local trading standards
  • Environmental health authority
  • Any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is located


Premises licences


A premises licence enables you to use any premises for an event or activity and sell alcohol. To be successful in this application, you will be asked a series of questions including the following:


  • General information regarding the premises, including the address
  • Your details as the applicant
  • The proposed operating schedule, such as the date you wish to begin using the licence on the premises
  • Due to new licensing laws, it’s important to stipulate who you wish to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS)
  • You should indicate what licensable activities you wish to carry out by ticking the appropriate boxes on the form. You should also indicate what days and times you want the licence to be active from. This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment, such as indoor sporting events, live music and recorded music.
  • What hours you intend your premises to be open
  • How you intend to promote the four key licensing objectives, which are: the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance, the protection of children from harm
  • The planning of the premises and any advertising on or around the premises that you wish to use


Personal licences


General staff that work in pubs don’t need to have a personal licence. However, each pub must have a premises supervisor that holds a personal licence.


If you are set to own the business, you would apply to be the personal licence holder. Furthermore, anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder. It’s important to take into consideration that before you apply for the licence, you must ensure that whoever will be running the establishment does so in a professional manner.


With the above information, you should have the details required to commence with your application and hopefully someday soon be behind your own bar pulling those perfect pints.